With Memorial Day upon us, I have been in the barbecue spirit. I’m ready for burgers, hotdogs, pasta salad and a nice cold beer to wash it all down with. 😉 Rather than make a classic beef burger with american cheese, I decided to have a little bit of fun and experiment with a turkey burger filled with plenty of delicious fixings.
Feel free to add and subtract any ingredients to fit your preference but see below to learn how I made these scrumptious turkey burgers…
Ingredients: (yields about 13 burgers)
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 small green bell peppers
- 1 small purple onion
- 1 egg *two are pictured but I ended up only using one
- seasonings to your preference * I eyeballed minced garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings.
- Chop celery, onion, and green pepper and set aside.
- Break up ground turkey in a large bowl and mix in with the egg
- Add chopped ingredients and keep mixing together until blended well
4. Spoon out small handfuls of the mixture into your hands to form patties – place aside on parchment paper until ready to cook.
Once you have the desired number of burgers you would like to cook place in large skillet on stove top with a tiny bit of cooking oil to brown burgers to a nice golden color.
- Cook burgers for about 3 minutes on each side, and then cover with lid for 2 minutes to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
- When burgers are golden remove them from skillet and serve. If you are a cheese lover like me, you have the option to add more shredded cheese to the top your burgers.
I served mine with extra cheese, lettuce and mayo on whole-wheat buns. 🙂 With french fries on the side, of course!