Being a holiday hostess with mostess is not cheap! My family hosts Thanksgiving and Christmas and we always have a full house! While it can be pricy, we really do enjoy hosting the festivities.
If you’ve ever wanted to throw an ugly sweater party but feared adding additional costs to your holiday budget I’m here to tell you, you can do it! Follow these tips for hosting an ugly sweater party without breaking the bank!
Dollar store for decorations and platters
- There are so many hidden gems in the dollar store. I picked up frames, serving dishes, table cloths even glassware from my local dollar store.
- If you’ve already decorated the house for Christmas you shouldn’t need too much more. I also love craft stores and the dollar section of Target for inexpensive decor.
Look for free printables for decorations
- I found the prints I used for my ugly sweater voting area on pinterest for free! If you’re creative you can make your own signage as well.
- Instead of spending money on invitations, consider sending an e-vite or creating a Facebook event.
Tell your guests to bring their favorite holiday dish or wine.
- This will help cut food costs. Another great way to cut food cost is to host your ugly sweater party the day after Christmas, and ask people to bring leftovers. (I have been wanting to host an after Christmas PJ Party but sadly, I’ve had to work the day after christmas the last few years.)
Now for the important part…ugly sweaters
- Of course, you can always find ugly sweaters in the thrift store but, I wouldn’t recommend waiting until last minute. The closer you are to the holidays, the less likely there will be ugly sweaters left.
- I recommend checking your local Walmart or T.J. Maxx for inexpensive ugly sweaters. When I hosted my ugly sweater party I found ugly sweater vests for so cheap that I bought a bunch incase people couldn’t find one themselves.
- Lastly, you can always make your own ugly sweater. Just check out pinterest, you will find a ton of inspo there.
I hope these tips help you host the best ugly sweater party for your friends and family!
Have you ever been to or hosted an ugly sweater party?
Thanks for reading!
XO- Samantha Leigh